The Schutz American School Students' Newspaper
Vol. II, Issue No. 6, June 2010

الثلاثاء، 13 يناير 2009

Trial of a Rebellious Pen: An Interview with Ibrahim Issa

Despite an Obvious Lack of Democracy, a Courageous Opposition Exists in Egypt

Aya Kordy

The journalism class had the opportunity to interview one of Egypt's most powerful journalists, revealing what happened behind the scenes with President Mubarak and how Ibrahim Issa will always write about the truth no matter how many times he is sent to jail. This interview was a great privilege and honor for the journalism class as it was a terrific opportunity to know how journalists struggle to search and publish truthful facts in the world. Ibrahim Issa was born on November 9, 1965. He studied Mass Communication and started his journalistic career as an intern in Rose al-Youssef magazine in 1984. At the age of 23, he became the Desk Editor of Rose al-Youssef. In 1995, he assumed the position of Editor-in-Chief of the controversial Al Dostoor newspaper.

When did you start writing? When did you find out that you were a gifted writer?
-As a young boy, writing has been my passion; I always used to win journalism contests, I used to write the morning news for the school radio, and send letters to the children’s magazine "Samir. I published my own magazine in Cairo, called "Al Haqa'iq", meaning "The Truth", and circulated it in my home governorate El Monofeya. However, you know what would take the wind out of your sails? When I was in Junior High, I would literally say, and I am quoting myself, "I'll go to the Mass communication Faculty, major in journalism and work in Rose al-Youssef", just as if one could read the future. I am revealing that entire story to prove to everyone that perseverance, will and dreams are very important, as I advise all young journalists to possess their dreams. Can you recall Martin Luther King's tremendous speech "I have a dream"? That is all I am trying to say.

Ever since you started writing about the president's health, did you have any evidence? If yes, how did it reach you?
- The common practice in newspapers anywhere in the world is that you can never reveal what your sources are, and as a journalist it is your duty to double check the accuracy of the information. If you reveal your source, you will be held accountable and may be convicted. However, let me tell you what I wrote and why I was convicted. I wrote two articles entitled "Fireworks" and "Gods Do Not Fall Sick", in which I mentioned the right of citizens to know about their rulers' health. I also discussed that our president reached a very old age where senility starts happening. That is all I said, yet they sent the articles to court and the case has been there for the past thirteen months. However, till this day no one denied the information I released, so I believe they sent me to court as a result of my opposition in general against the president.

Did you expect to be convicted?
- Every time I write an article, I expect anything. But my answer would be no. Strangely enough, when I wrote these two articles in particular I did not think they would take me to court as I believe I wrote much more critical articles against the president.

What were you going to do if the presidential pardon had not been released?
- Nothing, what could I possibly have done? I know that I am not like Thomas Freedman who can write about Bush saying he is mentally ill and still go home and live a normal life. Ttherefore, I am fully aware that I do not have the same privilege as journalists in Europe and in the States do. Thus, I believe we are paying the price of working in Egypt.

Can you relate to us the important highlights of the conversation with the Prime Minister?
- He passed on a message informing me that no personal problems exist between the president and me, and that was a message sent from the President himself, which was an honor for me of course.

Did the pardon make you change your attitude towards President Mubarak in your writing?
- First, I must say that I thanked President Mubarak for the pardon. I called the prime minister, and I expressed my great appreciation in press releases. Nevertheless, that does not mean that I do not still disagree with the president's politics.
What do you think is the real reason behind the Presidential Pardon?
-I think President Mubarak realized how much of an issue it is to jail a journalist and how big of a scandal it will cause nationwide and all over the world. There is also the realization that Egypt is one of only twelve countries in the world that has laws which can jail journalists.

What do you think about the current trials of other Egyptian journalists?
-I believe it is preposterous! It is enough to say that there are one thousand cases against journalists in Egypt.

Do you believe that democracy exists in Egypt?
-Of course not! When you have thirty three legal clauses that could send journalists to jail, then this country has not got the slightest idea about democracy. Nonetheless, courage of the Egyptian opposition exists in Egypt.

What is your political orientation?
-I am liberal, I believe in the freedom of speech and I believe in social responsibility and justice.
As an American school we have a Journalism class where we learn the basics of journalism and get a general idea about the life of journalists.
Why do you think such a class does not exist in the Egyptian Schools?
-Because education in Egypt reflects the image of the Egyptian society and also its political and social reality. When you are in an American school it is like being in America; therefore, being in an Egyptian school is just like being in Egypt. The entire idea of the government possessing freedom of speech starts when people are still young at school learning the ABC's of life.

What do you think is the future of journalism in Egypt? What is the message that you want to convey to young journalists?
-I strongly believe that the future of journalism is very promising. As for my message it is to love being a journalist as it is a very lovable job and be educated as much as you can, as education is what you are going to need down the road.

ليست هناك تعليقات: